Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 18, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 06-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

Default Hardware quick question... (Just curious)

Although I don't REALLY need to know this, I just want to know what to expect (If my dad doesn't forget to get it) in speed difference:

I have a 672 MHZ, my dad is gonna give me a spare 800 MHZ, What would he speed difference be? Would it be like a difference between walking and running? Or Walking and Biking? Old Bike speed and New Bike Speed? I just wanna know what to expect....
Old 06-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Maybe the difference between riding your bike, and pedaling a little bit harder, I think. A very little bit.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
drgamer

In this case, It would be the difference Of not being able to play Guild Wars And Being able to...
(Plus a new video card but... aparently you can use Geforce 2: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...topic=21319695)
Old 06-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Hammered
Nailed It!

It will give you a processor that is about 20% faster, but as to whether it will be noticeable, it depends on what you are doing with the machine. For example, if you used the machine only to access the internet and you would be using the same dial up modem after the change, you probably wouldn't notice any change at all, because the CPU was not the limiting factor in the operation, the modem was.

CPU speed is mainly helpful in things that are not involved in I/O, such as computationally intensive applications, like AutoCad and another thing, which it is obvious that you do indulge in, execution of game programs. Even so, games which do a lot of computations also do a lot of I/O, so it depends on the kind of games whether you will notice much difference, specifically whether the game is being limited at the present time by CPU cycles or whether it is I/O bound.

There are various performance tools that could be used to analyze your individual situation in various operational modes, but with a 20% increase in processor speed, I'm guessing that you will probably see a modest increase in performance, enough to make the upgrade worth the effort, but you will probably not be seeing anything like the difference between night and day, or as you put it walking and biking. My best guess in the old bike to new bike speed in your analogy.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

upgrading your ram will also help increase speeds. if you have some money lying around, think of buying more ram, or even having a new processor installed. i'm not certain, but i think amd's best processor is faster than intel's best.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
drgamer

I was thinking about getting an AMD processor, but... I'm don't have a job... so it takes quite a while...
Old 06-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

dave's tips for earning money:

at your birthday, ask for cash and lottery tickets. if you're lucky, you can win more on the lottery tickets than what they cost, and it's perfectly legal to have someone else cash the ticket in and give the money to you. and asking for cash is another easy way.

try doing more chores around the house. i've found that mowing the lawn can earn an extra $10 dollars, at least with my parents; if you live in a single house, you can easily earn money.

i'll add more if i think of them.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
drgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hettel
dave's tips for earning money:

at your birthday, ask for cash and lottery tickets. if you're lucky, you can win more on the lottery tickets than what they cost, and it's perfectly legal to have someone else cash the ticket in and give the money to you. and asking for cash is another easy way.

try doing more chores around the house. i've found that mowing the lawn can earn an extra $10 dollars, at least with my parents; if you live in a single house, you can easily earn money.

i'll add more if i think of them.
Darn, and my birthday is eight months away!
And I've tried the whole chores thing, for me it'll take a while, due to the fact that most of the chores I can do are ALREADY being done for my allowance, err sorry "Comissions". I'll just wait for summer camp! For me I'm getting PAYED to go! It'll fatten my wallet quite a bit! (About 2 times it's current thickness.... so to speak)
Well, I suppose I could get a lottery ticket or two, [out of my own money]

My dad wins a moniter every year, and it's coming up! YAY low turn outs!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
Hammered
Nailed It!

Some inquiries might yield a neighbor or two who would be willing to pay you to more their yards. i know I wish I had a neighbor kid to cut one for me.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #10
drgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered
Some inquiries might yield a neighbor or two who would be willing to pay you to more their yards. i know I wish I had a neighbor kid to cut one for me.
:/ just one problem with that, that I just remembered, There's ALREADY a mowing company... That happens to do our yard...
Old 06-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
Hammered
Nailed It!

Companies typically charge more for lawn mowing than someone like you would. If your folks still have a mower try offering to save them a couple of bucks by doing it a little cheaper and see where it gets you!
Old 06-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
drgamer

Oh, and we don't have a lawnmower...