Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dr. Lunatic

Old 08-26-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
blackmyth
eats people.

Default For a Secret Project, Desert Duel Review

It's for something secret I'm doing, but I would like to have some reviews. Please, more than just 'levels:?/10' and ect, I would like you to tell me of any things that seem wrong, or too hard, and any things that are too easy, or that you liked. Level by level reviews are also needed.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
death
Banned

the sphinxter in the final boss level was easy why didn't you add tentacles and color them brown
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
regeneratorizer
I thought I was special!

i think desert duel was before the patch....
Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
CatWoman
Brainiac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by death
the sphinxter in the final boss level was easy why didn't you add tentacles and color them brown
Desert Duel was built before the patch, so it wasn't possible to color things brown.
CatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
Hammered
Nailed It!

Quote:
Actually, adding tentacles and things to monsters just to be adding them isn't the point. Players who want more challenging levels can set their difficulty levels higher.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
Sokko
Dumb Person

Quote:
adding tentacles and things to monsters just to be adding them isn't the point
I believe you've Hammered the nail on the head here. It's like I keep saying (though it seems nobody is paying attention), special effects don't make the world. Take a look at the supremized versions of the original five Lunatic worlds. They contain more fun, engaging, and creative gameplay than over half of all the available add-ons. How many specials do you see in each level? Only enough to supplement the main goal of entertaining the player with good level design and challenges that achieve just the right mix of fun and difficulty.

Of course, there are those rare worlds that are absolutely loaded with specials, and still become classics because no effect is overstated and flashiness takes a backseat to fun. Sadly, these are few and far between, since in the time it takes one builder to carefully craft a masterpiece, another builder can crank out three or four boring, unoriginal worlds.

If it's all in the name of friendliness, I suppose even the most mediocre add-ons must be accepted, and I know firsthand that Jamul backs up this policy with an iron fist and a speedy delete key. It's just too bad that there's no rating system of any kind so that downloaders can pick out worlds up to a certain standard of quality.

*trails off into half-hearted mutterings*
Sokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
diana66
Medium Mortal

I totally agree with Sokko, I started playing Dr. L because it was totally original and that's what made it so much fun. I could sit for hours and have a blast! I have gotten to the point where I don't download certain world builders now just because they have gotten so far away from the original concept. Dr. L doesn't need so many fancy bells and whistles that some worlds have. Special effects are cool and they can be fun but you have to realize that too much of a good thing is not necessarily a good thing! I hope I didn't offend anybody by this post, maybe I just need to realize that times are a changin and I need to take a step up, I just miss my basic Dr. L
diana66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:03 AM   #8
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokko
It's like I keep saying (though it seems nobody is paying attention), special effects don't make the world.
Somebody paid attention, and that's why it's taken forever to get Mad-Lib Merge back out to testers. I decided to delete and rebuild one of the levels; and I am thinking of deleting a second level.

And the odd thing is that they're both by the same author... okay, maybe it's not so odd, but Sokko should know what levels I'm ranting about. They are a perfect example of what has been stated in previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered
Players who want more challenging levels can set their difficulty levels higher.
Or authors can place less weapons right by the players starting spot in every level. They could scatter them around.

In the other aspects of the replies to this topic, I agree with diana66 and Sokko. I bought the original Dr. Lunatic because the demo was so much fun (that, and the game cost a lot less than commercial games at the time, so it couldn't hurt anyone's wallet; at least not for me or anyone who might buy it for me). The worlds made for the original Lunatic were much more fun than those made for Supreme, because the editor is so much easier to learn, and anyone can make a world, even without a little help provided by the users of this forum. The last Supreme world I liked was the Grim Graveyard, and it's definitely been over a year since it was released.

The bottom line: I like Supreme, but not the latest one. I think 7.2 was the best version of Supreme.

</rant>

EDIT: Blackmyth, Desert Duel wasn't too bad, maybe a little hard, but still not bad, especially for your first world... I think.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
blackmyth
eats people.

*Sigh* Yet again, I got a lot of off topic replies and no help...
EDIT: Well, here's something to make me feel better, 700th post.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
death
Banned

it was a good world but some of the levels were to tough.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #11
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
it was a good world but some of the levels were to tough.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that too vauge?
Old 08-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #12
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

Well, if you're stuck on ideas for a world, you could always do part of the world in my Sig. *HINT*HINT*
Old 08-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #13
blackmyth
eats people.

Please, give a little more detail then just 'it was good (for a first world) but a little hard', like I said, any level-by-level reviews (with ratings) would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks to MMMB for his review when Desert Duel first came out.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:20 AM   #14
blackmyth
eats people.

I hate to double post, but is there ANYBODY with a level by level (or at least slightly detailed) review? WW, send our secret project back to me, I want to start it back up again...
Old 08-27-2005, 11:43 AM   #15
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

I sent the world to you! :wink:

Did I send you a review when I did a beta test of Desert Duel for you?
If I didn't, or if it wasn't very helpful, then I'll do another for you, if you want. :P
Old 08-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #16
blackmyth
eats people.

You didn't send a review, you just told me that you couldn't really get past many levels. And it would be VERY appreciated if you wrote a level-by-level review. Thanks, I'll get working on our world right away!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:35 AM   #17
interokio
Medium Mortal

Sokko Wrote
Quote:
in the time it takes one builder to carefully craft a masterpiece, another builder can crank out three or four boring, unoriginal worlds.
Preach Brother, Preach
interokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:53 AM   #18
death
Banned

hahahahahahahaha