Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #1
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer
 
drgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,184
Default Real Life Robotic Replicators

Anyone else get that feeling that something's bads afoot? You know in 20 years we'll have robots taking over the world?
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...mg18624997.100
__________________
Short story stuff!
Last update. 26-JUNE-2008 Late sig update
drgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
Sokko
Dumb Person
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 649
Default

Looks more like a Lego set that builds itself than a world takeover robot. Quite interesting, all the same.
Sokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer
 
drgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,184
Default

In 20 years!
What part of that do you not understand?
Once we give it intellegence, it will built itself over and over!
Taking over the world...
__________________
Short story stuff!
Last update. 26-JUNE-2008 Late sig update
drgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes
 
Dave Hettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,228
Default

Doesn't seem that bad to me. It's just a bunch of blocks programmed to build more blocks.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer
 
drgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,184
Default



Why won't you read the WHOLE topic?
I said in 20 years!
When some idiot decides to give them the ability to think independetly...

I'm not saying it's evil...
I'm just saying that it might end up dooming us all...
__________________
Short story stuff!
Last update. 26-JUNE-2008 Late sig update
drgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes
 
Dave Hettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,228
Default

I in fact did read the whole topic, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Besides the fact that they're miniscule blocks, what's the problem? And while we're at it, what's to stop all the animals with intelligence and the ability to reproduce from taking over the world? Nothing, and they don't seem to do it.

And where did you get twenty years from?
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer
 
drgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,184
Default

The thing stopping animals from taking over the world?
Humans
Guns
Extintion
They don't have human greed
We've got shelter
We've got defence
We've got extreme long distance connections (To animals)
Oh and all those bombs,
aircraft
Ships
etc.


Robots:
Can't kill them in the way you kill normal things (at least not every single way)
You can't make a robot extinct (Self-replicating [They're going to make them at nano-scale], someone can rebuild it...)
Robots can break through things animals can't
Robots have bigger guns than the average person
They have better defence
They're immune to some bombs we use now... (If just one block survives...)
They can live on planets we can't
No need for oxygen
You can't go hand to hand combat without boxing gloves (Otherwise you'd hurt your hands)
These ain't gonna be those whimpy ones that can't think for themselves!

Why 20 years? Because. They've got to first build them at nano-scale, and then build the programs to make it run on its own... Not a big step after that to self-awareness...
__________________
Short story stuff!
Last update. 26-JUNE-2008 Late sig update
drgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes
 
Dave Hettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,228
Default

Right. I don't think it's bad, and that's that.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:52 AM   #9
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.
Moderator
 
AtkinsSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Computers!
Posts: 4,790
Default

I see your point, but I doubt that a robot could ever invent things in its own. Therefore they could only 'take over the world' if someone told them how to build weapons that are better than people's.
__________________
Caution: may contain traces of nuts
AtkinsSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:26 AM   #10
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer
 
drgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,184
Default

If they get free will and stuff, then we're pretty much doomed!
Think about it:
A fast computer (That can think for itself) vrs. The averaage human mind
__________________
Short story stuff!
Last update. 26-JUNE-2008 Late sig update
drgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:28 AM   #11
pizza
Extra cheesy
 
pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 6100'xx" 2538'xx"
Posts: 1,033
Default

Robots don't think
*bzzz*
__________________
pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:29 AM   #12
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer
If they get free will and stuff, then we're pretty much doomed!
Think about it:
A fast computer (That can think for itself) vrs. The averaage human mind
That will happen eventually, and.. then... we're.. DOOMED!
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:16 AM   #13
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes
 
Dave Hettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,228
Default

You're thinking of this as the end of the world, and since I'm not a doomsayer, I don't think it's the end of the world. You're also thinking that any robot that exist will want to kill all humans, and that's not true.

And no computer ever could think for itself. No computer has a mind, and no computer ever will, because it's physically impossible to program. No computer will ever have free will, because it's all just a bunch of programs and circuits making something look as if it's human, but it never will be. There is a limit to what programming can do; free will, emotions, and sentience cannot be programmed. No robot will ever be able to think for itself, because everything in them is all circuitboards, wiring, and hard-disks. There are no complex cells, tissues, or organs (there are no simple cells, either) and for something to have free will and sentience, it needs to be living, with simple cells, complex cells, tissues and organs. There's no threat from the robots.

Addressing your
Quote:
A fast computer (That can think for itself) vrs. The averaage human mind
the human mind is much faster than any computer will ever be, and that's partly because of visuals. Currently the worlds fastest personal computers are at about 3.5 Ghz with about a GB of RAM, which means that they could run Doom 3, pretty easily. However, it takes time to load the stuff, and the game occasionally slows down while playing, especially when in complex environments. The human mind, however, can view any environment instantly, no matter how detailed. The human mind has no loading screens, and no slowdowns. Another sense that humans have and robots do not have is taste. No robot could ever sense taste. Sure, there are parameters that could be set that could make the robot run happier circuits and programs, but they can never sense the taste, of, say, a good slice of pizza. Of course, those parameters could make the robot happier when given a slice of pizza, but the robot could never taste the sauce, never taste the oodles of cheese, and never taste the bread dough. There's also the whole range of emotions humans can express, such as love, hatred, greed, empathy, sympathy, etc. How can one program a robot to love someone, or to hate someone, or to have greed? Nobody can truly give a robot emotions, because emotions are beyond programming; humans of course can have emotions.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:11 AM   #14
pizza
Extra cheesy
 
pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 6100'xx" 2538'xx"
Posts: 1,033
Default

Wasn't World Tester Guy supposed to be a computer program...?

(WTG has taste)
__________________
pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:19 AM   #15
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer
 
drgamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,184
Default

Okay so if I upload my mind to a computer using future technology, the computer won't have a mind?
__________________
Short story stuff!
Last update. 26-JUNE-2008 Late sig update
drgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 AM   #16
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable
 
Mr.Onion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Posts: 4,862
Default

Artificial Intelligence is a contradiction. For if something is truly intelligent the intelligence isn't artificial is it?

WTG might be computer program but Jamul programmed him with something explanied by Dave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hettel
Of course, those parameters could make the robot happier when given a slice of pizza,
Where a slice of pizza is a good world.

(or quite litreally )
__________________
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:52 AM   #17
Sokko
Dumb Person
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer
Okay so if I upload my mind to a computer using future technology, the computer won't have a mind?
There are so many differences between your mind and a computer that transferring one to the other presents so many translational challenges as to be impossible. Even if you had an advanced MRI that could scan the current state of every atom in your brain simultaneously (itself a virtual impossibility), and a full-scale quantum computer to hold the results of the scan, all you would have is a "snapshot" of your own brain at that particular moment. The computer would not be able to use the snapshot in any way, since computers operate electrically and the brain operates chemically. In order to use the snapshot, you would basically need to write a "brain simulation program" that is capable of simulating activity down to the atomic level and events that are mere nanoseconds long. No computer in thousands of years will be powerful enough to handle that.
Sokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:08 AM   #18
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes
 
Dave Hettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer
Okay so if I upload my mind to a computer using future technology, the computer won't have a mind?
It will have your mind. But how does the computer plan on controlling that mind, or doing anything with it?

And given your predisposition to predicting the apocalypse, why would you upload your mind to a computer?
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #19
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable
 
Mr.Onion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Posts: 4,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hettel
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer
Okay so if I upload my mind to a computer using future technology, the computer won't have a mind?
But how does the computer plan on controlling that mind, or doing anything with it?
It can't. It can only learn what you've learned and you in your body will still exist. In fact, if the version of your mind in the computer wanted to it could probably control the computer.
__________________
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:16 AM   #20
Dave Hettel
attack of the gnomes
 
Dave Hettel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hettel
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamer
Okay so if I upload my mind to a computer using future technology, the computer won't have a mind?
But how does the computer plan on controlling that mind, or doing anything with it?
It can't. It can only learn what you've learned and you in your body will still exist. In fact, if the version of your mind in the computer wanted to it could probably control the computer.
So unless you're a psycho who wants to kill all humans, we should be pretty safe from the robots.
Dave Hettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Known in real life Boneheads General Blabber 14 08-20-2011 01:25 PM
Real Life Meme Ninja of Frozen Milk Total Mayhem 2 01-31-2009 06:35 PM
This is NoFM in real life Ninja of Frozen Milk Total Mayhem 0 11-26-2008 07:15 PM
Is this the real life? Ion Sumo Total Mayhem 19 06-18-2008 10:22 AM
Meeting Real Hamumuers in Real Life : Can It Be Done? Dave Hettel General Blabber 80 11-23-2007 06:34 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.