Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Dumb: The Game And Webgames

Old 01-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #41
Anonymous
Dumb Person

For blackbox:

Not everything is black and white, except in this case.

Big hint.

Also, keep in mind the other hints in other posts, especially the 'fill' one.

Still haven't gotten The number one :-\
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #42
andrewtaylor
Puny Mortal

Send a message via MSN to andrewtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonkosherninja
Still haven't gotten The number one :-\
The maths part you just ahve to keep bashing away at. It can be solved, and 000-0000 isn't the right answer. But once you've worked out the number, read the question again -- the answer to "who" can't be a number.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #43
caro
Puny Mortal

Got Your Number is one of my favorite puzzles on this site - it's really funny! Do you guys know any famous phone numbers?
caro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 AM   #44
Nezuji
Less Puny Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamul
True - it is impossible to solve mathematically. You need to use deduction and more information than just the "equations". After all, it's not a math problem, it's a puzzle!
I must assume either that you're too young to have learnt about them yet, or that you didn't pay enough attention to your mathematics teacher in highschool; Decoding the symbols into numbers is done by solving the simultaneous equations we're given, which is to say that it's an algebra problem. I did get stuck on what I should do with the number until I looked in here, though. Thanks, guys!

Nezuji
Nezuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #45
oxygenthief
Large Mortal

I finally got it by getting a friend to make a Java program to figure it out for me...
oxygenthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #46
dannawii
Large Mortal

*** i finally got it!!!!
thanx to my dad a living math genius!... for those who don't have such dads excel might be a good substitute :P
dannawii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #47
crassycatz
Dumb Person

Send a message via AIM to crassycatz Send a message via MSN to crassycatz Send a message via Yahoo to crassycatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezuji
Quote:
True - it is impossible to solve mathematically. You need to use deduction and more information than just the "equations". After all, it's not a math problem, it's a puzzle!
I must assume either that you're too young to have learnt about them yet, or that you didn't pay enough attention to your mathematics teacher in highschool; Decoding the symbols into numbers is done by solving the simultaneous equations we're given, which is to say that it's an algebra problem. I did get stuck on what I should do with the number until I looked in here, though. Thanks, guys!

Nezuji
You do reaslise that Jamul is the maker of these wonderful puzzles, so im sure he would know how they can and cant be solved... besides what numbers are you given to be able to do it as algebra?! there are no numbers just symbols, so even if you did manage to get any where in solving the symbolic algebra what numbers are you given? it would just be more symbols that have no meaning!
crassycatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #48
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

As far as I know, there aren't enough equations to solve the number of unknowns by pure algebra. But it certainly does help! Maybe there are tricks to build up more, that I don't know.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #49
Moebius
Large Mortal

Quote:
As far as I know, there aren't enough equations to solve the number of unknowns by pure algebra. But it certainly does help! Maybe there are tricks to build up more, that I don't know.
It can be solved that way, but there is more than one possible answer. Of course once you see them, one immediately jumps out to fit the rest of the puzzle. You do have to take the given that the numbers are limited to 0-9 with the puzzle being a phone based thing.
Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #50
crassycatz
Dumb Person

Send a message via AIM to crassycatz Send a message via MSN to crassycatz Send a message via Yahoo to crassycatz

so this is more of a trial and error thing then? substitue the first line of symbols for numbers and work down till all the numbers fit, going back and changing the first line if something doesnt fit!?
Old 03-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #51
Moebius
Large Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro
Got Your Number is one of my favorite puzzles on this site - it's really funny! Do you guys know any famous phone numbers?
For those still stuck here, caro dropped a very good hint there.
Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #52
dannawii
Large Mortal

first I do agree that these are wonderful puzzles and the maker of them is obviously no ordinary person!!! but i have to say when it comes to this, algebra IS the way to solve it! sure they r just symbols but aren't x,y,z also just "symbols"!!!
if you look at the equations n work on them a bit u'll realise there r certain relations between the symbols and that they can be represented by numbers that will perfectly fit the equations u have!...
only then ull see the meaning of your symbols!
Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 AM   #53
onwardknave
Less Puny Mortal

For "Got Your Number," I started doing the substitution math, and then I stopped when I thought of a famous number. The best hint I've seen so far is that growing up in the early 80s is an advantage. Otherwise, you might be left to slog through the math.
onwardknave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 PM   #54
blackmyth
eats people.

Odd, I posted a reply/hint to this topic and it disappeared. I thought hints were ok?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #55
crassycatz
Dumb Person

i dont supoose any one could pm me a HUGE hint, i am useless at maths, and dont know any famous phone numbers!! so maybe if someone sent me what the number was i could research into that!!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #56
dannawii
Large Mortal

to work out mathematically start with the easiest equation, and keeping in mind that these are phone numbers, you will only have 3 possibilities for one of the variables in that eqation!... make assumptions and work your way through!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #57
badbean
Puny Mortal

Default Help!

Ok I have sat here for hours trying to solve number 11 and I just can't do it! I have tried mathematically etc.. Any help would be appreciated! PM me??
badbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #58
Muffinsan
Puny Mortal

Hahah! I laughed so hard when I finally figured this one out... I spent an hour trying to figure it out algebraically... Then I lost my nerve; I tried my imagination, but I was disturbed.

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, you don't need math. Who do you usually turn to when trying to solve one of these puzzles? Use them. I know you'll think I'm like the others before.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #59
blackmyth
eats people.

Apparently the hint I gave was too large, so if anybody needs a very large hint, PM me.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #60
philosojerk
Puny Mortal

wow the got your number one was much easier with the 80s hints.

i'd appreciate some help with the black box. i've got it to do some interesting stuff in photoshop (i don't have paint) but i still can't tell what it is!
philosojerk is offline   Reply With Quote