Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017
Old 10-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
eytanz
Medium Mortal

Default #9, #12, #22

So, no clue on any of those three. Or at least none for #9 or #22 (though I read the threads on #9). For #12, I know the obvious, but I can't figure out what the numbers mean...
eytanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
MathMan
Large Mortal

Have you managed to decode #22? If not, I suggest you ignore the first word while decoding, it may help a little

(Although its still not easy after decoding.)
MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Thanks - that helped.

I decoded it, and I solved the puzzle, but honestly, I don't really know what the first line had to do with it, or even the second line.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
eytanz
Medium Mortal

That was me, I forgot to log in
Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
PheonixZoid
Dumb Person

Send a message via MSN to PheonixZoid Send a message via Yahoo to PheonixZoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Thanks - that helped.

I decoded it, and I solved the puzzle, but honestly, I don't really know what the first line had to do with it, or even the second line.
so what your saying is, just look at the third and try not to find a connection?

With that in Mind: Is The last a past leader???

Thanky
http://www.freewebs.com/pheonix_has_landed/index.htm
PheonixZoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Yes.

I agree, I have no idea how the first two are related. Maybe just to help you solve the code?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:13 PM   #7
eytanz
Medium Mortal

Actually, I solved it by using the last two lines - I googled for the second line + the name from the last line.

Why this helped, I don't know. But it worked.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

They are all related (and to solve the code the way it was intended instead of brute force, you wouldn't need any extra lines)... google can tell you how. And the relationship is how you're really supposed to find the answer to the question.

All the puzzles are like that - everything is relevant (including the background image and name, almost always), but unfortunately a lot of the time, that adds up to too much help, and people bypass the actual puzzle by just using the hints. Which is really disappointing for me, most of all on Uncoordinated, which I think is a clever puzzle! Another one I'm sad about is Hollywood Chat. I can tell by the wrong answers submitted that most people who solved it actually only solved half of it, then ran through making guesses.

Anyway, I may make some edits in the future to trim some clues out of things, and try to force people to actually solve them the hard way. But however you do it, as long as you're enjoying the puzzles, that's all they're really for. So I should just get over it!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
eytanz
Medium Mortal

I think Hollywood chat demonstrates the problem pretty well - many puzzles have several parts, but some of the parts are clued much better than others. I retroactively went back and solved the half of Hollywood chat I didn't solve the first time, but it was far, far harder than solving the part I did.

Similarly, I think, with most such puzzles. It's not that you give extra clues, but rather that at some point it becomes easier to fill in the blanks using external sources (google, guesses) than it is to actually solve the rest of the puzzle. Ideally, you should balance the puzzles so that solving each part of a single puzzle should be roughly equivalent in difficulty, so that way most people either solve all or none of it.

---

Before this thread gets too sidetracked, I should point out I still need help with #9 and #12...
Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I can't help with 12; I worked out 'the obvious' too, assuming you're refering to what I think you are, but couldn't progress and ended up guessing the answer.

As for 9.. you have to transform those coordinates somehow into other coordinates.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:20 PM   #11
eytanz
Medium Mortal

Ok, I solved 12 by guessing as well - why the worked, I have no idea.

Just one more puzzle to go...
Old 11-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #12
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eytanz
deally, you should balance the puzzles so that solving each part of a single puzzle should be roughly equivalent in difficulty, so that way most people either solve all or none of it.
The problem with this is that everyone is different. Some people solved Black Box in 2 seconds, others took days and random guessing. Everyone's got different skills and sometimes a puzzle just 'clicks', and sometimes it doesn't. So as long as a puzzle has multiple parts that are of different types, that will always be the case. What I probably should do is make them linear, like "figure this code out to get the question which leads you to a word you can use to find some coordinates which show a number that solves an equation that tells you how to arrange some letters". But that's hard to make!

The bigger problem is really the outright clues I put in backgrounds and names. I could just not do that, if it weren't so darn aesthetically pleasing!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #13
Dycacian
Puny Mortal

Send a message via ICQ to Dycacian Send a message via AIM to Dycacian Send a message via MSN to Dycacian Send a message via Yahoo to Dycacian

9 is just pure evil.. that is all I have to say. (no that is not a hint it is truly how I feel) ARRRG!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:27 PM   #14
Anonymous
Dumb Person

I thought 9 was one of the nicest puzzles actually In my opinion, ones like the Arizona Love or Sadly Similar were much harder than number 9.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #15
Anonymous
Dumb Person

Default Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by eytanz
That was me, I forgot to log in
Am i the only one seeing a patern here?:wink:
Old 03-13-2006, 02:04 AM   #16
BigNel
Less Puny Mortal

Jamal's right, I'm tired of reading that puzzles are impossible or worse still telling me that a puzzle is "easy". I appreciate that Jamal's says everything is relevant in the pictures, I'll keep looking harder.
I guess it's all relative to the individual and the way they think and their experiences. I love the puzzles that stress me the most, especially when I get that break-through. I had a bit of a break thru' with old timey music while sleeping, how obsessive is that!!

It's always the last place you look that you find the thing you are looking for, why would you keep looking once you found it...?
BigNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:29 AM   #17
vozome
Medium Mortal

Default #22

I was so proud to have decoded #22 so fast... but I couldn't find the relationship between the 3 sentences. Eventually, I solved it using the 3rd line, but still don't see the use of the 1st two...
vozome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #18
oxygenthief
Large Mortal

Can anyone give advice on decoding these kinds of things? I'm horrible at it.
oxygenthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #19
vozome
Medium Mortal

the image and the name of the puzzle hint towards the name of the cipher used.
For #9 and #12, any help would be greatly appreciated...
vozome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #20
*Jacob*
Less Puny Mortal

I've solved all three lines of code.

I've found a connection. It's a number.

It's not the correct answer.

I've entered name brands, animals, dates, measurements, and names.
I still haven't found the right one. Please, someone, just tell me the answer or SOMETHING. I don't want a subtle hint. I want a HUGE hint. I haven't had luck googling seperate parts of this either, or the entire thing.
*Jacob* is offline   Reply With Quote